Choose Your Language

Monday 14 January 2013

Picking Up The Pieces

Once again I have turned to the toolset to continue where I left off from last year. I have returned a little later than usual, and it has been hard to get into again since what happened at the end of last year when our pet rabbit Honey died. However, I am trying hard not to let negativity overtake me ... and to allow the healing that faith and time brings.

So, what have I been able to do regarding the toolset in the last day or so? Well, mainly, I have been trying to familiarise myself with an event surrounding one of the companions and to ensure logical flow regarding the area I am currently looking at:-

The PC taking a step into the unknown!
Furthermore, I am at a point where I am having to address a number of conversations at the same time due to the variables involved. The process feels a little nit-picky to me at the moment, but I hope it is something that I will see the benefits of in a short while, and then also start to enjoy more than I am at the moment. Grief is a stange monster.

I also discovered a couple of minor bugs after I placed some creatures into the area I am currently padding out: The first was a walkwaypoints bug, where a creature would stop walking their patrol path when a PC came within a certain range. It turned out to be related to some AI I have coded that allows NPCs to be a little more intelligent than the average monster. The second problem was also AI related, with a faction issue thrown in: An NPC was trying to enter a jail cell to attack their prisoner! A quick faction change made sure the NPC carried on their normal tasks.

Now that I have these recent bugs out of the way, it should be a case of just getting back to writing the conversations again and tying them into the story. I also still have to finish populating the module with creatures, and balancing them for combat. And I do still have some "decorating" of internal areas too, which may require some more scripting to bring the areas to life. However, as I say in the title, I am slowly, but surely, picking up the pieces again.


No comments: