Choose Your Language

Friday 30 October 2009

New Feats

It has been a slow week for me this week. I am still fiddling with Windows 7 to get it to work how I like and feel. Most of the programs and utilities I normally use when working with the module are now installed and (mostly) work, and I am now back in a position to something similar to when I worked on Windows XP. Here is a screenshot with the Toolset open in Windows 7:

The time I have been working on the module has involved me with editing 2da files and a Tlk table to enable some new feats that will work with Better The Demon. I finally got the process to work (enabling skill bonuses) by applying the bonus to a player skin in a similar fashion to what I have done with other game benefits such as potential attribute adjustments. The feat I added this week also works with "successive" values, meaning the feat can be "upgraded" if certain criteria are met. In this case, I have worked in a feat that gets added subject to how often the PC "accidentally" kills neutral PCs and apologizes for the act as part of the "Real Life" system. They may start as someone who is "Accident Prone", but can eventually end up being labelled a "Homicidal Maniac" and be made an outcast from normal society. (At which point the "Sorry" feat is also removed. Check out this earlier post about the "Sorry" feat.)

While this feat was designed primarily as a means to help encourage a player to take care about who they kill and prevent breaking the game, I also considered it an exercise to help prepare me to work in any other epithet/background feats that might be worth considering. Time will tell how much I will use this facility.

I also managed to do some more work towards the Ambient Life system, with respect to buildings and their residents. This is nearing an end now and I hope to be concentrating on the quests again next week. That's the plan anyway. ;)

8 comments:

Quillmaster said...

Looks like your village green could do with some random patches to help break it up a little ;)

Sorry, think my mail is playing up so messaging you here. Looks like we can do this saturday... er... I may as well phone you lol, a lot easier ;)

Lance Botelle (Bard of Althéa) said...

Hi Geoff,

My areas suck .. I know. ;)

Fortunately, they do not look quite so bad in game as they do in the toolset. At least, they don't to me. :)

Spoken with you now.

Lance.

HerrJeff said...

Hi Lance,

I finally have my new PC, with Dragon Age Origins installed and NWN2 quite soon, although it will likely be waiting on the backburner for a while. At least, now I have a reason to purchase Mysteries of Westgate. But first, I'll check how compatible these games (and myself) are with Windows 7...

Lance Botelle (Bard of Althéa) said...

Hi Herrjeff,

Good to hear from you again. :)

And good to hear you have a newer PC to cope with all these great games. Windows 7 did not give me any problems. Thankfully.

Does this alos mean you will be in a position to help beta-test in a year or two, when I have finished? ;)

Lance.

HerrJeff said...

We shall see... I'm curious to see how your story continues.

Lance Botelle (Bard of Althéa) said...

Hi Herrjeff,

If this part goes to plan, I am trying to cover some back story for those not familiar with the campaign and end at a point where the player knows what they must do to finish the campaign, which would be the (final?) module coming after Better The Demon.

That said, I would then like to do a fresh campaign in another part of the world if I get the time and if there is still interest.

I do hope to get completion on this campaign at least! ;)

As you say though ... we shall see!

Lance.

HerrJeff said...

Well, David Gaider from Bioware has published 2 novels based on Dragon Age's "mythology". Maybe you should try that avenue for Althea!

Lance Botelle (Bard of Althéa) said...

Hi Herrjeff,

Write a couple of novels? Well, I have written the book called "Deep Within" (available as a DL from the side bar). That does give some information about the campaign, but from a different time and perspective.

I have started (but never finished) a second novel and there was going to be a third novel as well, but I no longer have the time nor the well-being to cope with the amount of work that would involve.

That said, I am trying to put together a new website (every now and then) to help cover some of the newer ideas and previous background. I have it all hand written at the moment and is something that requires more time and energy yet again. Whether I am able to finish it or not remains to be seen.

Lance.